My Cancer Journey - Week 15

I just returned from seeing the radiation oncologist for the six week follow up.  Yes, it is now six weeks since my last radiation and chemo treatments.  It’s all good news.  He did an inspection of my neck with his hands and said he can feel nothing that would cause him any concern.  Using a scope, he inspected my tongue where the original tumour was located.  He said if he didn’t know that there was a tumour there at one time, he could see no visual evidence of anything cancer related.  In other words, at six weeks, I am clean.  

He and his nurse interviewed me on how I am feeling, reviewing details of the recovery process.  They were both amazed that I have returned to work and overall they said I am doing things at 4-6 weeks after treatment that most patients don’t do for six months and even up to a year.  They declared me “way ahead of what they know to be the norm for recovery” and said that I am doing very well.   

I can’t tell you what a relief it is to hear the assessment today.  In six more weeks, they will do a cat scan of my neck, to confirm that there is no cancer remaining in my lymph nodes.   The doctor said the best method for inspecting the tongue is by using the scope.  So, given continued good news, the next check up will be six months from then.  The sun is shining and I am feeling better than at any time since I was diagnosed. 

This past week I also went to see the vascular surgeon, the follow up appointment after the emergency surgery for a blood clot in my lower leg.  He thought I was doing quite well given everything I have been through with the cancer treatment.  The blood flow to the back of my foot was strong.  He said the best thing for me to do is push myself.  He wants me to walk on it until it hurts, rest and do it again.  The pain tells the brain that something needs to be done and will promote the body finding new avenues to deliver the blood to my foot.  He was not concerned about anything.  He just encouraged me to keep doing what I had already begun to do.  So, one way or the other, I will walk daily, either out somewhere or on the treadmill.  I’d love to be able to walk a golf course by the end of summer.  Patience Ted.  We’ll see. 

I gather that many of the medical professionals I have now met are impressed with how much I have accomplished through sheer will power and attitude.  So as recovery continues, I will rely on those two attributes and do what I can to kick cancer to the curb and stay clean and healthy.  

And, this needs to be said over and over.  I don’t know how anyone survives cancer without fantastic support.  I am one lucky man.  I have Terrie in my corner every step of the way and fantastic friends and family.  Your prayers and positive thoughts mean everything to me.  We are winning so please, don’t stop.